Thursday, July 9, 2009

Silly Old Bear

Toady is day 11 of the hundred day tour: Memory. I can't tell you how many memories I have that are wrapped up in stories like this one. For a long time I had a real fear of growing up. I thought that childhood was the last refuge, the only safe place. I have thankfully outgrown that sentiment and have instead adopted the point of view expressed by Mr. C. S. Lewis (I quote him often, get used to it) in quoting 1 Corinthians 3:11: When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things...including the fear of appearing childish. I agree wholeheartedly. There is no reason on earth that growing up should mean growing hard and cynical. Things have to change, but our childhood joys can grow into even greater joys as we mature. Never confuse growing up with growing old. Getting old kills people. Growing up just makes them more alive.

No comments: